“If we can develop the ability to be aware of the present moment, we can use the past as a guide for ordering our actions in the future, so that we may attain our goal.”
- SN Goenka
- I've double-checked course dates
A ten day course actually spans 12 days in total. Please double check your course finish date and make plans accordingly.
- I know how to get to the centre. For directions see Getting here.
- I have the centre's phone number: +61-02-4787-3600.
- I have packed everything I need.
What to bring
- We provide one pillow per bed. A limited supply of extra blankets is available so you may wish to bring a blanket of your own.
- Please bring top and bottom sheets and pillowcase for a single bed, and blankets, a sleeping bag or a doona. From May to September Blackheath can be very cold, sometimes below freezing.
- We provide a large base mat and meditation cushions for every student.
- Please bring your own cushion or blanket if you prefer to use them.
- Modest dress is required for both men and women.
- Please bring an adequate supply of modest, loose and comfortable clothing, without distracting images and words, which covers the body from the shoulders to below the knees, even when sitting. These guidelines allow other students to focus on their meditation more easily. Facilities for hand washing clothes are provided.
- Please don't bring distracting clothing. Tight, transparent, revealing or otherwise striking clothing, such as shorts, short skirts, tights, leggings, tank, low-cut or skimpy tops, should not be worn at the centre.
- Suggested items include indoor footwear/slippers (easy slip-ons, eg clogs, thongs etc), and a shawl or light blanket other than your sleeping blanket for use in the meditation hall.
- Seasonal items including a raincoat, boots, hat, warm clothing.
- Please bring a towel, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, unscented personal hygiene articles, shampoo, shaving kit, feminine sanitary supplies.
- Please don’t bring perfumes, aftershaves, strongly scented toiletries, powders or any other products that have a strong smell.
- Please bring a clock, torch (plus extra batteries) and a drinking water bottle. Your mobile or other personal electronic device cannot be used as an alarm clock.
- Please note that you will not be able to use your mobile phone. It will have to be surrendered for safekeeping at the beginning of the course.
- We provide umbrellas.
- Please bring any prescribed medication you are taking. Please make sure you bring enough for the entire course.
- Please don’t bring:
- books, diaries, journals and other reading/writing materials
- electronic equipment such as personal computers, iPods or iPads
- musical instruments
- food; a wide variety is provided
- tobacco, alcohol or illegal drugs
- non-prescribed sleeping pills, tranquillisers or stimulants
- furs or animal skins, crystals, rosaries or other spiritual objects
- jewellry or other unnecessary valuables. Facilities are provided for the safekeeping of money, mobile phones, etc.
Property is kept at the centre at your own risk. The Vipassana Meditation Centre is not liable for any loss or damage to property howsoever caused. The required items that have been listed cover all seasons. Please bring items appropriate for the season.